Autumn is here and America is bathed in pumpkins again: Halloween is coming.
Personally I don’t celebrate Halloween, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like pumpkin.
In fact: I love pumpkin! Don’t you?
So every autumn I buy at least one pumpkin to cook and bake with.
This year I made a delicious pumpkin risotto.
Now I know risotto sounds difficult, when someone makes it at Masterchef it’s always a big deal.
But let me tell you, it really isn’t that hard to make. The hardest part is being patient enough.
Below you’ll find the recipe for this delicious dish, with many pumpkin tips & trics.
Ingredients (for 4 persons)
300 grams risotto rice (I used risotto rice with some mushroom mixed in it)
1,2 L chickenstock (1,2 L boiled water with two cubes of the stock)
1 large onion (diced)
1 tbsp. dried Italian herbs
300 grams chickenfilet
1 box of mushrooms
some grated cheese
4 tbsp. Olive oil
50 gr. butter
pepper & salt
Before we start, let me tell you that preparing a pumpkin is not easy peasy. It takes some hard work and sharp knives. So please be careful!
Also, don’t use a cheese slicer to take of the skin of the pumpkin. I did this a few years ago and I can still see the scar…
1. cut the pumpkin in 4-8 pieces, remove the seeds from the inside and carefully remove the skin. It’s best to do this with a small kitchen knife and to cut with the blade away from you
2. Preheat the oven to 170°C
3. Dice the pumpkin into cubes of about 2 cm (a little smaller than an inch)
4. Lay the cubes on an oventray covered with bakingpaper
5. Spread 3 tablespoons olive oil over the cubes, make sure all cubes are fully covered with it. Even though it’s a bit messy, it’s best to do this with you hands
6. Spread the Italian herbs and add salt & pepper
7. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
1. Prepare the chicken stock (2 stock cubes with 1,2 L water)
2. Bake the diced onion in a pan with the rest of the oil and butter for about 8 minutes
3. Add the risotto rice and stir untill all grains are shiny
4. Add a bit of the stock to the rice and onions. Keep stirring it and wait untill all the liquid is absorbed by the rice
5. Add some more stock and repeat point 4 untill all stock is used. (during this time you could prepare the chicken and mushrooms, see below)
6. Taste if the risotto is done. It should not have a hard bit in the centre. If so, cook some water and keep adding it in small portions untill the rice is good
7. Add some grated cheese to the rice and stir a bit.
Chicken & mushrooms
Simply bake the chicken (cut into smaller pieces) and mushrooms (sliced) in a seperate pan.
In the end, when everything is done you put the risotto on a plate and add the pumpkin, chicken and mushrooms.
To finish it off, add some grated cheese on top of it.
Enjoy your meal!
I hope you liked this recipe. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the comments or send me an email.